Beachy Banana Pancakes with Custard!
Today we had tonnes of ripe banana’s, and that means banana pancakes! We decided to make a banana custard as well, because.. Why not. We also had some fresh eggs kicking around from the local island chickens, and figured we could make something legendary, which these pancakes were…
These pancakes are gluten free and made with oat flour, very inexpensive.
Pancakes: This makes about 8-10 pancakes
- 1 cup oat flour (or any other flour)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt (Himalayan is a great choice)
- 1 egg (free range if you can swing it, flax egg for vegan option)
- 1 cup milk (coconut milk is a great vegan option)
- 2 tbs oil
- 2 ripe bananas
Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl. Mix the wet ingredients in a bowl. Add the dry to the wet and stir thoroughly! Heat up a skillet with oil or butter. Pour pancake batter in pan, flip when pancakes bubble.
- 1/4 cup sugar ( I love coconut sugar)
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1-1/2 cups milk (coconut milk)
- 3 egg yolks, beaten (Not sure if flax egg will work, will experiment)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 medium firm banana, mashed or sliced
Mix dry ingredients together in a pot. Slowly stir milk into pot on medium heat. Continue to stir and wait for it to come to a boil. Pour some of the boiling custard into the eggs, then add the eggs to the pot continuously stirring for another two minutes. Lower heat, continue stirring until thickened. Let cool. Mix in the bananas. Pour the mix over your hot pancakes or refrigerate it for an hour to have cold custard with them. Personally, the hot custard was delicious, and we don’t have a fridge aboard.
They were absolutely delicious, and we will make them again soon!